Mladá Boleslav

Mladoboleslavsko is famous above all as the centre of manufacture of Skoda cars; indeed this is the first thing people think of when they hear the name of the city. However, this is not all the city has to offer: it is also noted for its scenic beauty and its rich and varied countryside. During the last century it also became noted for its fine architecture and its historical monuments. It is situated 50 km north east from Prague. The current population is approx. 45 000; nearly one third is employed by Skoda. For those interested in the history and contemporary production of cars it is interesting experience to visit the Skoda car museum.

In the 10th century Prince Boleslav established the castle on the river side, which later became the citadel of Mlada Boleslav. In the valley below the castle a colony grew up, a feudal market economy which gradually expanded till it eventually evolved into a full medieval town. The second half of the 15th century until the beginning of the 17th century was the high point of the city’s history; Mlada Boleslav became the centre  of the Czech Church Jednoty Bratrske. During this period the Church’s activity enjoyed the full support of the city’s aristocracy;  as its influence expanded, so did its wealth and power. At this time Mlada Boleslav was one of the most populated Czech towns. In 1895 a mechanic Vaclav Laurin and a bookseller Vaclav Klement established the first workshop for repairing and making bicycles and later also motorbikes. In 1905 they introduced to the public the first Czech Automobil named Voiturette. In 1925 it became as the part of Plzen Skoda establishment and was counted amongst the best automobiles in Europe. From 1991 the factory became part of Volkswagen group

Castle (Museum of Mlada Boleslav)


Originally a wooden fort from the 10th century was rebuilt to the Gotic stone castle in second quarter of the 14th century in the reign of Lords of Michalovice, in the 15th century on late gothic castle and in the first half of the 16th century in the reign of Krajiri z Krajku it was rebuilt on renaissance chateau.  It was desolate after Thirty Years' War and after hundred years in the reign of Josef II it was transformed into military barracks that were there to 1938. Castle is a seat of District Museum since 1972 and a seat of a State District Archive since 1997. In the interior of the castle are located exposures composed of the most valuable exhibitions   from historical and geographical collections.

Old Town Hall (observation tower)


Spectacular Renaissance building of The Old Town Hall is rich decorated with ornamental and sgrafitto decorations. It was built in 1554- 1559 by the italian architekt Matteo Borgorelli. The front facade is decorated by sgraffito with figures and scenes of saints and evangelits from the Old and New Testaments. The reconstruction of the building was completed in the second half of the 19th century and it's wings were reconstructed in 1939- 1941. Parts of The Old Town Hall are two towers- higher quadrilateral tower (height of the parapet is 31,8 m). Its present form is dated from 1779 and it was opened up in 2001.

City Palace Templ (Emperor's house)


Late Gothic town palace was built in 1488- 1493 as a seat of governor Jan Cisar z Hliniku. The three- storey building is a gem of Vladislav- Jagiellonian Gothic. Nowadays, it serves as an exhibiton hall where literal and musical programs take place. There was opened the permanent regional multimedial museum exposition Templum Historicum et Archeologicum Boleslaviense as an initiative of the city.

Unity of Brethen church


Three-body building with elements of Romanesque, Gothic and Renaissance style was built in 1544- 1554 by M. Borgorelli for Brethen church. It was a meeting place of  Reform church which then spread literacy. Opening of congregation was a manifestation of the anti- Habsburg revolt. The building symbolizes the fate of the Czech nation. It was St Wenceslaus Catholic church since 1623, military depot after 1787 and in 1910- 1968 a seat of the regional museum. The builing was used as an exhibition and a concert hall after the reconstruction. It is an important monument of Mlada Boleslav and thanks to its design it is one of the oldest Renaissance basilica outside Italy. The city uses the building as a gallery for holding long-term and temporary exhibitions and also for organizing concerts.

Michalovicka putna


Ruins of the castle are situated  north from Mlada Boleslav over the valley of river Jizera. You can see the defense tower of the castle while driving to Ceska Lipa. The castle is called Michalovicka putna because of the shape of it's tower.
Michalovice Castle was founded in 1281 by Marvartice clan. The first documented owner was Jan of Michalovice. The castle was captured during The Hussite Wars because Michalovice clan stood on  the opposite side of the barricade. The castle became a seat of Hussite governors for some time. Michalovice clan returned to the castle 2 years after The Battle of Lipany in 1436. Michalovice clan was in the King's service during the reign of Jiri of Podebrady. Michalovice clan owned the castle till 1468 when the last member of Michalovice family died. Tovacovsky family gained the castle thanks to marriage but they have never settled there. The castle is stated as abandoned since 1513.                    
The local landscape was also appreciated by Karel Hynek Macha, who visited the castle in 1835. There is Macha's bronze memorial table on the tower of Michalovicka putna. It was placed there in the centennial anniversary of his visit.

City Theatre Mlada Boleslav


Theatre Art Nouveau building was built between 1906 – 1909. Interior corresponds to the original project of the Viennese architects Fellner and Helmer. The outershape is built in the secession style by Rudolf Krizenecky and Emil Kralik. Pylons in forefront are made by Jan Stursa. The Author of painted curtain is Theodor Hilser. The theathre became active in the drama scene since 1945. Municipal theathre was opened on July 1, 1945. There was created a new permanent professional troupe, which featured by actor celebrities as Ladislav Frej or Kveta Fialova. Theatre managed to raise a number of talended young actors in a short period of its existence.

Skoda Auto Museum

Skoda Auto Museum was inaugurated in September, 1995 on the occasion of 100 anniversary of the company established by Laurin and Klement. To this end, the historic buildings of an „old factory“ in the edge of today's modern factory have been renovated. Museum recieved a nomination for the building of the year on FOR ARCH 97 building fair in 1997. The Museum is equipped with a barrier-free access. These days it is one of the most visited attraction in Mlada Boleslav.

Observatory Mlada Boleslav

Observatory is situated on the premises of 9th Basic School on 17th November Street. It is a public educational institution operating since 1996. Its professional activities focus on studying the historical development of astronomy and its methods and on this subject are prepared articles for its publications (obcasnik Hvezdnik). Observatory informs the general public about what is happening in the sky.

Jewish Cemetery

The Jewish cemetery was established in the Boleslav Castle, on the hillside above the river Klenice, probably in the 16th century. It has long been considered that the local oldest tombstone dates from 1604. Nevertheless, during the last restoration, there were discovered even older gravestones which were not exactly dated yet. Mlada Boleslav Jewish Cemetery has only a small competition among the Jewish cemeteries in central Bohemia; comparable values ​​are only in Kolin Jewish Cemetery and Brandys nad Labem Jewish Cemetery. Area of Mlada Boleslav Jewish Cemetery is kept in a uniquely complex quality. Jewish cemetery can be visited individually or in the groundsman, who can provide an interpretation on request. Visiting rules adhere to the traditional Jewish practice. Unlike most sites, this open-air museum, along with two exhibits opens on Monday. Its visit is not possible on Saturdays and other Jewish holidays.


Hotel 


 

Naši partneři:

 
Hotel Chateau Kotěra
Ratboř u Kolína
Hotel OKRESNÍ DŮM
Hradec Králové
Hotel PLAZA
Mladá Boleslav
Hotel La Romantica
Mladá Boleslav
 
2011-2016 © Hotel Plaza - design by 3wD